Re: minimum hardware requirements for small postgres db - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Daniel Staal
Subject Re: minimum hardware requirements for small postgres db
Date
List pgsql-novice
--As of February 20, 2013 10:50:12 AM -0300, Paul Smith is alleged to have
said:

> I seek an open source RDBMS with close adherance to ANSI standards, good
> free graphic design tools for drawing of the ER Diagram, validation of
> the ERD model, and generation of the SQL required to build the DB.
>

> I only want to design a few small DB Apps using about 20 tables, for
> single-user offline environment, hopefully runnable on Nettop class
> hardware under WinXP or Win7 32bit.
>

> I want to access the db via a Forms driven GUI and a Report-writer with
> features comparable to old versions of Access, but preferably also
> open-source.

--As for the rest, it is mine.

While Postgres would probably work for you, I suspect it's probably
overkill.  I'll let others answer your direct question, but I want to
suggest that you take a look at SQLite as something likely closer to your
needs:  <http://www.sqlite.org/>

Not saying Postgres isn't great - it is.  But sometimes you need an
industrial-grade nailgun, and sometimes all you need is a hammer.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.